Monday, July 11, 2011

"I do believe I have been changed for the better..."

"So let me say before we part 

 So much of me 
 Is made from what I learned from you 
 You'll be with me 
 Like a handprint on my heart 
 And now whatever way our stories end 
 I know you have re-written mine 
 By being my friend... 
              "For Good" -Wicked (GLEE version)

Waking up early on June 29th was a hard day for me. Knowing that as soon as I closed the door to my flat, that would be the last time that I would ever do that. I loaded up into the trusty Super Shuttle and was on my way to the airport. I had used this service tons of times before, but again knowing that it was my last time that I would use it.. I obviously was feeling somewhat emotional. (To say the least..) Lauren and I sat at the airport and waited to board the plane and we knew we had a long day(s) ahead of us. Taking the time change into consideration, we celebrated June 29th twice and after some (very) long plane flights we were finally in L.A. As we had to part from each other, I soon realized my fate. An EIGHT hour layover in L.A. Luckily Molly (one of my pledge sisters) rescued me from the airport and took me to the famed "In N Out Burger.' After saying goodbye to her, it was time to board my plane.
Goodbye, Welly.




Molly!!!! 

Love them. 
Cousin love. 
With my sweet cousin, Jeslea. 
My heart and soul. 

After 4 planes, multiple time zones and over 18 hours of air travel time, I FINALLY arrived at RDU around 1 am on June 30th. Nothing better than my 2 little brothers and mom greeting me! Troopers. The next few days/weeks were full of jet-lagged feelings and trying to get re-adjusted to the hustle and bustle of America. 

It was nice that I got home just in time for our annual Ackermann family trip to Sunset Beach. Being reunited with family and friends was what I was most looking forward to because after all, home is where the heart is, right?

Baby Eva. My obsession.
My view.
Being home for almost 2 weeks now, I have been able to look back and reflect on my trip. I've been able to re-read some of my journal entries and it is amazing just how much I have changed over the last semester. I've traveled to some of the most beautiful places, met some of the most amazing people and have tasted some of the most exquisite wine and delicious food. I am one lucky girl to say the least and I have enjoyed every second of it and it was a pleasure sharing my experience with those loyal followers/readers. It is sad that I am no longer there, but I am beyond appreciative of the people that loved and supported me as well as encouraged me to do this for me. 
The evolution that has taken place over the last semester has seemed indescribable at times but all I can do/say is to really encourage you all to push yourselves and go outside of your comfort zone. I truly do believe that there is nothing better for the human soul than to travel. Meeting others from all over the world paints a beautiful picture of human interaction. Although there were cultural differences and language barriers, I have come away from this experience feeling energized, humbled, and most importantly inspired.. inspired to see more of the world and to meet more people. This semester has brought great piece of mind, has awakened my soul and opened my heart to those that surround me. It has re-iterated my love for people and has really shown me that I am doing what I need to be doing. Being a human development major, I have joked that I 'major in people' and 'minor in emotions.' In reality, this is not to far off. It has been such a joy for me to meet people from all over the world and to pick their brains apart. Although they might have found it fascinating and fun to talk to this silly American girl, I got so much from even the most simple hostel conversations.

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.”    – Mark Jenkins

As far as my future goes, who knows? Who knows where I will be 5, 10, 15+ years from now? Maybe working, maybe in school, married, back in New Zealand? All I know is this experience was just another chapter in the journey that is my life. (Makes for some interesting reading, eh??) Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the love, support, encouragement and feedback. This was an unforgettable experience and quoting Wicked.. "I do believe I have been changed for the better..."

Until my next adventure.... 

        .....Peace, Love, Cheers & Sweet As....

                            --A

1 comment:

  1. This made me cry and reminded me of why I love working in international education! Thanks Amy for keeping your blog - it was great to take the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete