Sunday, July 10, 2011

"You don't know how lovely you are..."

"Nobody said it was easy
  It's such a shame for us to part
  Nobody said it was easy
  Nobody said it would be this hard
  Oh take me back to the start.."
                       "The Scientist" (Coldplay)

My LAST day in Wellington. I think I am still in shock. Especially because I spent my last day primarily packing. (Curse procrastination.) As soon as I finished with my chores, I ran to do some errands and hit the city! It was a little gloomy in Welly but I did not mind it. In fact, many times it suits the city quite nicely. I walked around and observed; every street sign, every corner. Some of these areas I have walked around hundreds of times, yet I can notice something new about them every time. As I walk down these streets, an overwhelmingly calm sensation came over my body. Home. Wellington has truly come to feel like a second (or third) home to me. Its almost like I can blend in and be a local. Well that might be pushing it seeing as how my 'accent' makes me stick out like a sore thumb. I can however Jay-walk across the streets at appropriate times without the use of the automated signs telling you when you can cross. (It only took me 5 months...)

I did some window shopping and then I hit the local record store for some browsing. After spending an hour or so there and finding some keepers (be SO excited, PP!) I knew I only had a few hours left before I had to be back for my cleaning inspection. What to do as my FINAL activity? Espressoholic. It only made sense. The first cafe I had ever tried in Wellington, as a suggestion from my Kiwimate, became a staple in both my life as well as my friends lives. I have spent a significant time in this little cafe. With a welcoming and relaxed environment, I always felt extremely comfortable there.

I have done many things there. Besides try just about everything on the menu with friends, it is a place that has provided a rather exceptional socializing atmosphere, a place to read for my assignments as well as was the backdrop for one of my sociological observation assessments. Its quirky, inviting and I have witnessed many changes that have taken place there. There's a fresh paint job, furniture that has been rearranged and even an expansion of the cafe itself. I find this a very appropriate metaphor for my time here. I have gotten a fresh perspective on life, rearranged my priorities and expanded my views which has in turned caused me to evolve and grow as a person.

Reflection. This has been a common theme in my journey this semester. I think reflection is a very natural and healthy process for people. It lets us 'check-in' with ourselves and make sure all is well. And if all is not well, it provides us with an opportunity to seek change. One thing that came up during my reflection is just how fast time flies. I remember touching down in Wellington for the first time like it was yesterday. Excitement, fear of the unknown, some anxiety of being by myself. However I now look back on this experience and have realized just how much we have to cherish our time and be present in our lives. Instead of focusing on the minor things or those things that are not important, more focus should be put on the people that we are with and those that we care about.

Things do not always go your way. It is funny how life throws you curve balls; but I've realized that it does not matter what it is, it matters how you deal with it. You have control over your reactions. You decide how to present yourself and how to treat other people. You also have a say in who you choose to surround yourself with. And that is who I would like to dedicate this post to. Those that have impacted my life for the better here. Starting with...
1.) BRENDAAAAAAA: my sidekick and partner-in-crime. You are truly an amazing person and friend and I have so many fun memories with you that I will NEVER forget! You have such a big heart and I appreciate your support and loyalty. I cannot wait to see what your future holds. (And for you to come see me @ IU!!!) Keep laughing because it truly brightens the surroundings! Your humor and laughter is also extremely contagious! :)











2.) Lauren: my workout buddy and health guru! I have had so many laughs with you and I am truly proud to call you both a sister and a friend and I expect visits as well!
3.) Hil: traveling buddy! Also another 'sister.' Your adventurous spirit is something that I admire and appreciate to the fullest. You are always down to try something new and I love that! Cannot wait for trips to B-town and the Chi! Basil leaf, here we come!
4.) Nick- thank you for all of your support and encouraging words. Also- thanks for distracting me with NZ culture, lingo, and fashion as well as being somewhat of a personal tour guide. You uphold the stereotype of a 'friendly Kiwi.' Some 'good luck' goes along way, eh? You are truly special- I hope you know that!
5.) Ryan & my fellow TEAN peers: it was a pleasure getting to know all of you. We have times that we will never forget. From Fiji to NZ, an experience that we enjoyed together.  I wish you all the luck in the future!!!!!

6.)Kappas & B-Town frannns: you guys rock! Thanks for supporting me on this mission of finding myself and encouraging me to be the best that I could be! I could not ask for a better group of friends!

Cannot believe that it is almost over... but like they say, all good things MUST come to an end...

              .....XOXO,

                           Ams.

No comments:

Post a Comment