Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bringing Spring Break to a close...sad day.

The rest of Spring Break was very low-key. We had the rest of the day after bungee-jumping and one last night in Queenstown before heading to our next destination and then to Welly. So after bungee-jumping, Lauren, Alex, Fabio and I hit up Fergburger, a famous burger joint in New Zealand where I proceeded to eat one of the best burgers I have ever had in my life. We took our grub to go sit by the lake and just take in the surroundings. (Also, Brenda, Morgan and Megan were jetboating so we had some time to kill...) We then headed back to the hostel where we relaxed before getting ready for our last night in Queenstown. I could not believe that we were already leaving. It was actually unreal. I loved this town so much- it would have been a DREAM to study there, except for the fact that there are no universities there and I think I know why: nothing would ever get done!
Brenda and I before Ice Bar!



Alex and I at the Ice Bar!


So that night- the girls and I decided to check out Minus 5 which is an ice bar. It was a tourist attraction in our guide books, so we thought why not? For those of you who have not been to one, it is exactly what it sounds like: a bar made entirely out of ice. EVERYTHING was ice: the tables, glasses, shot-glasses, etc. You have to wear a coat, boots and gloves inside of this ice bar. That was a cool (no pun intended) experience because I had never been to one. After that, a few of us finished our night out and then went back to the hostel because Lauren, Brenda and I had to catch a flight the next day.

We woke up with a few minor setbacks.. Brenda had gone up to our private room while Lauren and I slept in a little longer in the dorm and to Brenda's surprise- she found that someone might have 'relieved' themselves on her clothes. Someone must have thought that her luggage was in fact- their toilet (or maybe litter box). Honesty Day..I felt bad for her too because no one came clean and fessed up to doing it...so it still remains a mystery. After that, I thought it might be good to 'cool down' and relax- so we went to get brunch at 'Captain's Restaurant.' It was a beautiful crisp morning so Brenda, Lauren and I sat outside and we relaxed with blankets and hot chocolate..(doesn't get much better than that!)
Doin' it.

Brenda and Lauren.

Hot choco.

Spotted.


We then proceeded to catch a bus to the airport. We were so sad to leave Queenstown but excited to spend a day in yet another new city, Christchurch. (Yes, the one with the large Earthquakes). It was significantly cheaper to fly through CC back to Wellington than to fly directly from Queenstown, so we thought why not go and see a new city on the way home? I also was interested in seeing the damage that was done in person.

We flew there, relaxed, had an amazing dinner, played a round of phase 10 and hit they hay. It was nice to just relax before heading back to Wellington knowing that I had a few assignments due upon my return. The next morning, Lauren, Brenda and I woke up and did some walking around the city. It was so sad seeing the surroundings. I hold Christchurch very dear to my heart for a number of reasons. 1) I was deciding between there and Wellington for where I wanted to study. 2) I felt for my friends that had decided to study there and had to move to Wellington because I know they really enjoyed it there and I thought of all the trials and struggles they have gone through over the last few months. 3) I felt for the people. This city had such a spirit to it and it was absolutely beautiful. It is known as the garden city and I understand why. Even with all of the destruction, you can tell that there is still some hope there. My mom was interested in seeing what the damage was, so I snapped away and just reflected on the situation at hand.
Destruction of a church in Christchurch.








A note on the gate by the church. Truly Inspiring.
This note came at the perfect time in my trip. It was posted in Christchurch in the center of all of the destruction. 

All in all- Spring Break was truly amazing. There were some very special moments that I will never forget. It was great times with good company making unforgettable memories. I had moments of inner peace, tranquility, serenity and more. It is truly amazing how traveling is therapeutic. I know I am here for school purposes, but the experience means NOTHING if traveling is not involved. I feel so thankful that I had gotten this break. It came at the perfect time. School had been very overwhelming for me and I needed to get out of my rut.  I needed to see new things, meet new people and just have new experiences; and I did just that. I am already busy at work planning my next couple of excursions... so look for those updates to come. Still cannot believe that this is my life right now. I feel as though I am still in a dream and I am scared that I am about to be woken up. What a dream it has been so far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment