Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Don't you go and let the world weigh you down..."

This week marked a significant time in my study-abroad experience. This past week was my LAST full week of classes... that's right.. next week is FINALS, people!!! Where has the time gone?!
I cannot believe it.. tomorrow (Sunday for me) marks the 1 month countdown until heading back home (that's right, Maggie- ONE MONTH.. I remember when you had a 4 month countdown..)..., I am shocked with how fast the time has gone by (truly, tragic!!) and the experiences that I have had along the way have definitely been memorable!
 I have had my ups and my downs... but boy, has it been worth it!!!!! I have learned so much about myself, what I value and the appreciation I have for people and for life!!! I have had moments of peace, serenity, sadness, tranquility, anger, frustration, loneliness, and moments when I have laughed so hard that I have cried... it's all just a part of the experience, right?
Brenda and I with the birthday girl!

This week has consisted of studying and beginning to gather resources & ideas for final assessments... as well as Yoga and city-walks w/ Lauren, outings w/ Brenda, a friend's birthday and more! On Friday, our friend Kristen turned 21 so we headed out for her birthday! It was nice to see her and some old familiar faces!

Saturday consisted of going out to breakfast w/ Brenda, the City and Sea Museum w/ Brenda and Hillary and just walking around Wellington--taking yet another day to admire and appreciate this city we have come to call our second home. Here are a few highlights from this weekend!


Obviously had to check this out.

Sleeping Kiwi :)

Mermaid. 
Boyfriend Wall.
I like yo' China! 
Sapphire Ball? 
Kappa? 

One of the most significant parts of my experience has been meeting the people that I have met here. With some help from TEAN, Victoria University and the city of Wellington- I have met some pretty incredible people on my journey thus far! They have been my support system while I am here and have provided much love, support and entertainment for me! (I have also had the unfortunate experience of meeting some 'duds' that have brought drama & negativity into my life and tried to taint this experience for me.) It only took me 3 1/2 months, but I have finally realized that you cannot please everyone and sometimes you just need to do what is best for you and avoid those types of people. Should have listened to mama because like she always says, 'Trust your gut!' Well  momma, you have been right from the beginning! Thanks for the advice and clarity! :)
Brenda and I by the water front!

I have met some truly amazing people here who have introduced me to some awesome music, culture and more of NZ!! Some things that I love here and will miss terribly:

-Kumera Chips (NZ version of sweet potato fries--order them as often as I can-nom!)
-Walking everywhere-soo skinny! (although honesty day- do miss the Cam baby somedays!)
-Wellington nightlife. It is just fun. Period.
-Kiwi accent (especially when you hear a nugget kiwi speak!)
-The Creche by my house... I get to hear babies and young children yelling, laughing and screaming everyday.. music to my ears! (Not to mention it reminds me of volunteering at the YMCA in the Play N' Learn area!)

One thing people have asked me about (esp PP!) is the music here in Welly. While American music is very popular in NZ, there are also some pretty awesome NZ bands as well. I have been receiving some pretty great music from a local (inside) Kiwi source (Nick-you are the bomb..keep the links coming!!)

The first song that I would like to share?
 'One' by Shapeshifter

 Enjoy, dolls!! Sending my love from the other side of the world!,

                                 (d)Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment