Saturday, April 30, 2011

Treaty of Waitangi House & Flagstaff.

    After looking through my journal- I realized that my time spent @ the Waitangi Treaty house needed to have its own entry. On the way to the waterfall, we made a minor pit stop where Hillary, Brenda and I decided to stop in to the exhibit to pay our respects to the history of this country that we chose to study in. It was a gorgeous day and it seemed only appropriate to study some history of this country.


On our way to the exhibit!

After all, this was the site where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed on February 6th, 1840. This treaty is recognized as a key marker of the founding of New Zealand as a nation. Regarded as "The Birthplace of our Nation," it is where the formal agreement was made between the Maori chiefs and Queen Victoria who represented their people and agreed to live and work in harmony.

Standing near the Flag Staff!

James Busby's House a.k.a. Waitangi Treaty House.

It was truly a spectacular sight. We got to tour the grounds, see the Naval Flagstaff where the treaty was actually signed, the Waitangi Treaty House which once belonged to James Busby, the European who acted as a mediator between the Europeans and the Maori people.


We also got to see the Te Whare Runanga (Maori meeting house). (Runanga means to 'discuss in assembly') This is my second one I have seen and I also feel a sense of serenity when I enter one of these. They are really cool and are just oozing with history. They also are extremely significant because the symbolize the Maori involvement in the signing of the Treaty. What is also special about this meeting house is that it is the national marae, which means that it represents ALL Maori tribes. (When typically each tribe has their own separate Maraes).
Marae.


Beautiful Maori carvings.

We also got to see the giant waka (canoe) that was located on the grounds. It is known as Ngatokimatawhaorua. It was made out of NZs Kauri trees and is 35 meters long and requires 80 kaihoe (paddlers) to paddle it safely. It is a larger version of the waka that carried raiding parties on long coastal voyages voyages at the time that the very first European settlers arrived. Some wakas were made for battle purposes, however ones with these kinds of carvings were used for peaceful purposes, including transporting chiefs on ceremonial visits.
Waka.

Waka.

Intricate Carvings.

Located inside of the house, we got to see a replica of the Treaty of Waitangi (over time, the original had began to deteriorate!) We also got to learn information about the Bay of Islands, the flag and more!
Replica of the Treaty of Waitangi.


The Naval Flagstaff.

It seemed only right to check this historical sight out. In the past, I have not been one for history but over the years I owe it to my dad (and mom) for instilling the appreciation for history in me. They always say to pay respect for our past and our history. I am not one for dates and strict facts but I do enjoy learning about it (as long as I will not be quizzed over it later...) Its safe to say that it was a really good day and I learned a lot and grew a new appreciation for this country.
Me & Big Mike @ KKG Dads Weekend last year. I really am my father's daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment