Sunday, June 26, 2011

"At twenty years of age, I'm still looking for a dream..."

"‘Cause I got a couple dents in my fender
    Got a couple rips in my jeans
    Try to fit the pieces together
    But perfection is my enemy
    On my own I'm so clumsy
    But on Your shoulders I can see
    I'm free to be me"

                       --"Free to be me" (Francesca Battistelli)

Last day in Queenstown.. We woke up to a crisp and chilly morning. We decided to pack our bags, check out of our hostel and head to Eichardts for a 'brekkie' of champions: hot chocolate, poached eggs and home-made tomato chutney on toast. A delicious breakfast to go with a delicious atmosphere. I absolutely fell in love with the cafe/restaurant as soon as I walked in. Warm neutral colors and stone lined the walls, small intimate seating that could not have fit more than 20 or so people and a fireplace made this the perfect back-drop for day dreaming...



...and after a nice chat with the girls, I decided that it would be appropriate to go by the water for this particular days journal writing. With the background noise of children playing, families spending time together and the hustle and bustle of the city, it provided me with the perfect opportunity to people watch, observe and absorb the environment around me... one person in particular caught my eye. 
I woke up that morning to a very bittersweet feeling... this was the last day of travels which marked the official 1-week countdown until we would leave this country that we have called home for the last 4 1/2 months. Right away it dawned on me. The idea of 'time flying by.' Where had this time gone? I felt like it was just yesterday that I was in my room making lists and talking with my mom about how I was feeling to go abroad while she so eagerly helped me pack my bags. And now, I find myself looking out over the water and reflecting on my time here as I know I will be heading home soon.

The one person that caught my attention was an older white-haired gentleman. The woman with him is feet away feeding the ducks. I watch him walk along the edge of the shore, stop to take a few pictures and then face the water with his hands behind his back. I notice that his eyes are closed and he is smiling and at this particular moment I wonder what he's thinking. He seems so happy; like he is just completely content with the exact place in his life that he is. He is taking the time to just appreciate his surroundings and admire his environment. I observe him for a couple of minutes and watch as he opens his eyes and walks down to meet the woman that he was with. She was busy feeding the ducks and I noticed a few children wanting to approach her but seeming a little shy. She at once insists that they help her and so she hands them some food so they too can be included. 




This at once brings a smile to my face as I see the illustration of kindness and inclusion of others right in front of my face. I cannot help but to think that my sociological immersion this semester has had some effect on my observational techniques. I found myself feeling such a connection with these 'strangers.' 


Sympathy.
Empathy.
Understanding.
Emotions. 


These characteristics or qualities if you will, unite us all as human beings after all. Habits, movements, and interactions that make up our everyday life affect us all. As I watch on and try to soak up my environment, the sights, sounds and smells, I cannot help but to think about and reflect on what this semester was really about for me. Although school is extremely important to me back home, it ended up not being THE most important thing for me this semester. In fact, learning went so much more in depth than any assessment from a school assignment or test in my academic environment could have provided. (I know they tell you this in orientation, but hearing it & actually experiencing it and having that lightbulb moment- indescribable.)


This trip ended up being just what I needed. I know I sound like a broken record but I am so appreciative to my family and to TEAN for this opportunity and as sad as I will be to leave this place, I am trying to put those feelings on the back-burner. I want to really enjoy my last week here. My journey has been both inspirational and educational while life-changing all at the same time. It has changed me for the better and although I am not anywhere closer to deciding exactly what I want to do with my life nor what I want to do right out of school, I feel much more confident and content. I have had certain dreams in the past and certain ones now, but who's to say those dreams might not change or be altered at a later time? And they probably will, seeing as how much they have evolved over the last semester. The old me would have been slighty anxious about this, however the new me is standing tall (and excited) at 20 years old. I am still looking for some of my dreams and I am perfectly fine and a-okay with that because I am just free to be me...


Day-dreaming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment