Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night long...."

Travels are upon us!!!  It is that time, folks!

Our trip to Dunedin was a success!! I remember booking my flight to Dunedin about 5 1/2 weeks ago thinking "Gosh, that is forever away!" But it happened!  After having an early call time for our flight (no paparazzi style!), Hillary, Brenda and I made our way (via the Supershuttle) towards Wellington Airport. Only having to arrive no more than an hour in advance (crazy, I know..) and not even having to go through security (crazy, right.. I know!) we were sitting inside of the airport waiting to hear our flight over the loudspeaker!

No paparazzi!


After hearing "NZED Flight to Dunedin," the girls and I walked right outside (on the runway) and up the plane stairs. Checked my ticket. YES- WINDOW SEAT. Done and done. The sights outside of my window was even amazing. Like every other flight here- I read a few chapters of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff," listened to about 3 songs on my Ipod and before I knew it, we were already descending into Dunedin. (I could get used to these short flights!) We got dropped off at our car rental place. "Rent-a-dent," (Hillary's find!) and realized that we had about an hour until Brenda and I needed to be at Cadbury World, so we waited patiently until it was our turn to get our car. The only automatic car left was a silver Subaru stationwagon. "We will take her..." was our response and after a very "detailed" 45 minute lecture from Old Man McGee in the car shop, "Wanda" was ours. (P.S. Just to let you know.. automatic locks work the same way in NZ as they do in America.)

Hil driving!





Roomies!

Lake Wanaka



Brenda and I made it just in time for our Cadbury Tour and after an hour tour (and many samples of chocolate later) it was time to hit the road for Lake Wanaka! A 3 1/2 hour drive stood between us and Lake Wanaka. We all took turns driving (yes, I drove on the "wrong" side of the car and the street...), made a few pit stops along the way for some great photo opps, and before we knew it we were standing next to beautiful Lake Wanaka! What a sight! We then checked into our hotel, the "Purple Cow" which was lovely. (Our first 6-person hostel with our own kitchen and bathroom ensuite. NICE)
We had dinner @ the Wanaka Ale House (it came highly recommended!) and it was delicious! We were talking about the beautiful scenery from our roadtrip earlier that day and then the conversation took a turn towards what we were going to do the next day....

...When we got back to our hostel, we met our other 3 roommates; Niels from the Netherlands, Dallan from Ireland and Christian from Switzerland! We had a lot of good laughs with them.. although I think the people in hostels REALLY enjoy talking to Americans. (Especially American girls who are super chatty and ask a lot of questions!) We started to watch "Inglorious Bastards" (wayyy too gross for me!) and then it was time to hit the hay because we had a PACKED DAY the next day... I was so excited I almost could not sleep!!!


       --Ams

No comments:

Post a Comment