Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Now I'm Free... Free Fallin'..."

Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 will forever go down in my memory as one of the greatest days of my life. I will tell my kids about it, their kids about it and it will be a story told throughout generations. The story of me JUMPING out of a plane.

Me and Eric. 

It's a beautiful day :)

Now, I had planned on doing this MONTHS ago on the North Island in Taupo, but due to weather I was rained out. And never in a million years did I think I would be thankful for that. It would have been really cool skydiving in Taupo, however I truly think Wanaka is the most scenic and beautiful place that skydiving could occur. (Not to mention my jumping instructor had worked both places and said Wanaka was better...) Skydive Wanaka is regarded as having the 'highest' safety rating in all of New Zealand (yup, checked that out for you, Dangie!) and the staff was AMAZING. After waking up around 8am, I looked outside to see the BEAUTIFUL weather! It did not seem like it could be more perfect to skydive. After being picked up at 9:45, we signed our life away and began our drive towards our destination. After being weighed, interviewed and suited up.. it was time.
Ready.




I met Eric, my guide from Zimbabwe who had jokingly said he started two weeks prior and had successfully completed "8" jumps. (By 8, he meant 8000!) He was very fun and sweet and made my experience that much better... (not to mention, I got to sit next to Brenda on the plane and watch her facial expressions.. as well as watch her go first!) I told Eric to make sure that I was "definitely strapped to him." After that, he invited me on his lap (a little too close for comfort) but there was no way we would be separated. However, he pointed to the building below and said "in case we get separated, just meet me there..."

Funny Eric, seeing as you have the parachute on your back... after laughing so hard watching Brenda get closer to the edge, she was off and each second, I watched her diminish that much more in size... now it was my turn... Eric said "let's go..." and there were no nerves... just excitement. If I could bungee, I could do this right?

Creepy smirk.



I will NEVER forget that moment of looking below me, the feeling of the wind across my face and the beautiful scenery that surrounded me. This story will go down in my memory as one of THE GREATEST days of my life. After exiting that plane, every doubt was left behind. All of my doubts, worries, and concerns were left in that plane. It was just me and the Earth. Like many experiences on this trip, this was another one that is so hard to put into words. However, this was a huge accomplishment for me because I came to this country with two activities in mind that I wanted to partake in: Bungee jumping and skydiving and these past few days allowed me to cross that final thing off my bucket list. Now everything else is just extra toppings on top of this sundae of an experience....
IIIIIII just wanna flyyyyyyyy.....

Nice view. :)






Just remember: bum first!

No comments:

Post a Comment