Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Tina, you fat lard... eat your food..."

Kaikoura: Day 2!

We woke up in our room @ the Dusky Lodge, had breakfast and arrived promptly @ 9:45am for whale watching! I was sooo excited because although I have a slight fear of whales.. I was ready to do this thing! We got there really early so I had time to enjoy a nice hot choco before the boat left. While sitting in the cafe, we watched the television screen that told us the current weather conditions as well as the water conditions. The captain warned that there was a high risk for 'sea-sickness.' Not an issue for me.. however Brenda was really nervous... we then watched a safety video and a video on whales prior to boarding the bus that would take us to the harbor to catch the ferry. With a million different whale facts floating around my brain and the idea that if we saw "1 or 2 whales," it was considered a success... I did not really know what to expect....






....however the trip was sensational!... we saw 3 HUGE whales and albatross as well as other marine life! It was AMAZING seeing just how big these whales were. All I could think about was Free Willy, Moby Dick, and one of my pledge sisters Emmet who has told me many funny stories about when she and her family went whale-watching. The weather was perfect and although a little bumpy and rough for Brenda (as well as the lady next to me who had her head in a bag THE WHOLE trip...) the trip was ALL it was cracked up to be.... I now understand why 'whale-watching in Kaikoura' is a MUST DO....

...after our whale-watching trip, it was time for our next surprise activity.. a fun trip that I had planned after scouring over the 'Kaikoura Activities' website. I had come across an activity that I had never done in my life before: Llama trekking. It IMMEDIATELY reminded me of my prom date from high school. (who is STILL one of my friends today..) After going to Brett's house, I was introduced to his FOURTEEN alpacas. (cousin to the lovable llama)

...anyways not the point. The point is I found Cushchine Cottage online and decided that this activity was a necessity for this trip. However, I had no idea what to expect. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a young and attractive Swedish man (boy?) who did not look much older than us. What a vision in gumboots. He checked us in and said that Lynn- one of the owners- would be with us shortly.. but we could go ahead and fit ourselves with a pair of gumboots. There were a numerous amount of pairs that lined the wall, so we had our choice. Oh the difficult aspect of which ones to match my outfit. I found the perfect pair and while waiting the sultry swede asked us if we would like to 'feed the animals.' Brenda's expression said it all in the sense of 'not interested.' However, seeing as how I have re-discovered my super adventurous side here, I thought 'why the heck not?!' After agreeing, 'Sven' (that is what I have chosen to call him) gave me a mug full of food.


The animals knew what was coming. As soon as my gumboots touched the mud, it was if all the animals stopped, looked up from the activity they were partaking in and flocked to me. Alpacas, ducks, turkeys, a deer, pigs, goats, and a countless number of other birds started darting at me from every direction. (Sidenote.. I am deathly afraid of birds!) However, for some reason, I was completely content at this farm.. I don't know what it was, but its like the majority of that fear had disappeared!

After feeding the animals, it was time to 'herd' the llamas. I know what you are thinking: how do you do that? Well I will tell you since Brenda and I were a part of this!!!!! So Lynn (the British owner), the hot swede and his other swedish friend, Brenda, myself and Barney & Jess (the herding dogs!) all made a human/dog fence around these llamas while Lynn put the harness/leashes on.
Pete.
Brenda and I living the 'simple life.'
With one of the herding dogs.

We were then on our way for our hour long trek with the llamas. I got Pete and Brenda was put with Herbert. (who was 'shy' and 'nervous' which only made sense because those were exactly Brenda's feelings as well)... we then walked with Lynn and the dogs down the road and through some wooded parts to gather flowers and food for the wallaby. It was really nice to talk to Lynn and hear her story of how she became the farm owner that she is today. She moved from England years ago because she woke up and realized that she did not love her job and said she needed to do something new. She had visited NZ and LOVED IT (duh) and thought to herself 'what am I doing?' So she and her partner picked up and moved to NZ and the rest is history..... I admired her so much for doing something like that for herself. She realized how she was living was not working so instead of settling, she altered her lifestyle to bring more happiness into her life. Although life was tough (taking care of a whole farm is HARD work) she is much happier than she was in England.

After our 'double date,' we were asked if we wanted to help feed the animals dinner. We said ABSOLUTELY and what was supposed to be an hour long activity turned into a 3 hour activity. It was a long day to say the least. After feeding the animals, I was exhausted... I now know how Paris and Nicole felt on 'The Simple Life." However, it was WELL worth it! What an experience. This day got me thinking again, 'when in NZ!' Brenda and I headed back towards town, got some food and went back to our hostel. We hit the hay early because the next day we had to head back to Wellington on the Ferry. But not before we hit the coast to take some last minute pics on our way out of town!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment