Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Oh, this has gotta be the Good Life..."

"Cuz hopelessly 
The hope is we have so much to feel good about
Oh this has gotta be the good life 
This has gotta be the good life 
This could really be a good life, good life 

Say oh, got this feeling that you can't fight 
Like this city is on fire tonight 
This could really be a good life 
A good, good life"

                             --OneRepublic.



So OneRepublic's "Good Life" has actually been THE anthem abroad for my friends and I. There is nothing like driving down a windy New Zealand road with this song playing. Whether we are driving along the coast, through forest or past a glacier, this song is applicable in any situation. So when it came on for Brenda and I while driving towards the peninsula of Kaikoura.. it only made the situation that much sweeter. 


Upon arrival, we ran into seals AGAIN. (Already have had awkward encounters with them before this trip!) After taking pictures by the water, we did a short trek to the top before looking out over the incredible views! Brenda had been here prior with some friends, but she was really excited to come back and I am glad that she took the time to show me this place. It was one of the most beautiful spots. With mountains all around us and ocean for miles, the scenery prompted a feeling of full and pure bliss for me, causing me to whisper 'this has really gotta be the good life.'





This trip was a last minute adventure for us roomies before Brenda had to stay behind in Wellington to study for her finals. (Her finals sched was NOT NICE for traveling purposes..and I was NOT OK with that!) But we chose to focus on the fun times that we have had and what amazing transformations we have seen in ourselves and each other this semester. (Brenda has been one of my best friends and biggest supporters while abroad and I do not know what I would have done without her!)

We <3 NZ.
As we overlooked the ocean, we had a few moments of silence for reflection and all that I could think about was just how this experience as a whole has changed me for the better. I took a moment to be proud of what I have accomplished this semester. For one I did this COMPLETELY on my own. I knew no one coming into this and being this far away from home, your support system and all that you know, it certainly can have its trials and tribulations. However, this pushed me to really go outside of my comfort zone and open up to new people. Overall, I would consider myself a fairly sociable person but I was somewhat shy upon my arrival to this country. Without my family, my sisters and my friends, it was if I had to find my identity all over again because the people previously mentioned were my whole world back home. I would do anything for them and their best interests are always in the forefront of my mind.



I know that those same people have my best interests at heart as well. I remember like it was yesterday when my father called me in the fall to ask if I had found out any more information about New Zealand. I was taken aback that he was so encouraging. Even though my heart yearned for this experience and I wanted to be a part of this trip SO badly, there was still this slight guilt in the back of my mind to do so. Coming from a large family (1 of 5 kids!) I did not want to burden my parents with any added stress. They have gone above and beyond to provide for my siblings and I; they have exposed us to many educational experiences, travels, etc and I thought 'how in the world could I be so selfish to want more?' My parents however are actually the best, most loving and generous people that I know and they encouraged me to push myself and just 'go for it.' No matter what I do or say, I don't know that I could ever express my full thanks and gratitude towards them and even if (when) I pay them back for this, I will forever be indebted because the amount of love, support and encouragement they have provided for me could never actually be repaid.


My sister and siblings were also huge encouragers of me going abroad. After Maria's semester in Florence, Italy she said that this was something that I HAD to do.


Additionally, the love and support that I got from my Kappa sisters and friends at school also contributed to really going after this opportunity. I remember encouraging words from Paige, Mags, Jamie, Maggie K, Keeley, Kelly, Mattie and more to just go for it. Even though I could not bare the thought of leaving some of my best friends behind (especially those Seniors (ma-ma) that were graduating this Spring), I decided that this was something that I needed and I will also never be able to fully thank those who encouraged me to chase after my dreams. For the first time in my life, I had done something for myself; not in a selfish way, but rather took advantage of the opportunity to grow as an individual. I have had time to focus on myself: my strengths, my weaknesses, my passion for life and I have grown that much more confident in the person that I am today. Furthermore, I have experienced and lived life from a different perspective. I love the locals that I have met here but this experience has made me that much more proud of who I am, the values that I continue to uphold, how I was raised and where I came from. I think at 20-years-old, that is an extremely powerful statement and I do not know how many people can honestly say that they feel the same way.
Speechless. 
Me with my 'mom in the house' Keeley. 

As my time here is dwindling, I will continue to open my heart and my mind to those around me, to new experiences, and I know that I will never forget the feelings and thoughts that I had on this particular day. It was one of those days that could be deemed as 'eye-opening' 'enlightening' or even 'life-changing.' And I wish these days on everyone because let's face it, you are never to old to see life in a new light or from a different perspective.


                                                                              True bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment