Friday, June 24, 2011

Oh I Just Can't Wait to be King... well Queen..

"No one saying do this
  No one saying be there
  No one saying stop that
  No one saying see here
  Free to run around all day
  Free to do it all my way..."
      
                  -"I Just Can't Wait to Be King" (Lion King)


One of the CD's that I burned had all 'throwback' songs of my past from childhood through high school, etc. And of course this song HAD to be put on there because the Lion King is my ALL TIME FAVORITE Disney movie. These lyrics are also applicable to my experience abroad since my level of independence has been taken a step further than just going to college.

Anyways.. I last left off when I was in Twizel, New Zealand. Population: 1000. A tiny town located on the South Island which is known as the location of "Gondor" to Lord of the Rings fans; so it only made sense that we participate in a Lord of the Rings tour there. Now although I am not a HUGE LOTR follower/fan per se...  I do love to learn about movies and the secrets behind them. (Not to mention a couple of days prior, I watched the first movie in its entirety!) So Hillary found a great little 2-hour tour. Although it was a little foggy, it was still cool to see where a lot of the battle scenes were shot as well as we got to play dress up with some of the costumes and swords, etc. Our tour guide told us that the casting crew of the movies would knock on doors asking people to be extras (even in surrounding towns!), etc because they needed more extras then the whole population of Twizel. I think that I could have been a really great extra. I will let the pictures speak for themselves...














...our tour guide was not the biggest fan of me seeing as how there was a lot of laughter and joking on my part and with her being the "ringer" that she is (what she said LOTR fans are called) I am sure she was not very happy with me. After this tour, we went back to the hostel, picked up Lauren, got brunch @ Poppies Cafe, and hit the road for QUEENSTOWN! Wooo!!! But of course not before we made a few pit stops along the way which included Lake Pukaki, REAL FRUIT ice cream and more! Enjoy....
Lake Pukaki.









..........until next time!!

                                --Ams

No comments:

Post a Comment