Saturday, June 4, 2011

"If fear is all that we should fear, then what are we so afraid of?"

I want to preface this (rather long) post (sorry, in advance!) by thanking Natasha Bedingfield... for her words of wisdom, lyrics and song arrangements. Day after day, I let my iTunes "Sweet As" mix play while I get ready for school, study, and get ready to go out for a night on the town. I think there are about 10 songs by Natasha Bedingfield herself on there... and after just recently finding out from my flatmate, Brenda that she is a "Briwi" (British Kiwi- that's right... her mother is from NZ!)  it only makes sense that her songs are applicable to my NZ lifestyle that I have been leading.. (not to mention, she has been quoted as saying that she comes to NZ when she wants to write music because to her- this is one of the most inspirational places for gathering ideas!) I couldn't imagine why....


With that being said, this week has truly been remarkable; a week overflowing with an assortment of feelings and emotions. After completing my first final on Wednesday, Thursday evening was supposed to be somewhat more relaxing; a final farewell dinner for all international students was being put on by my university. (Seeing as how I will be traveling a lot over the next few weeks, I have not ordered groceries in a while... so Brenda and I thought- why not enjoy a free meal?) Well we showed up, took a look around and realized that this did not look very appealing to us... so it was into town we went! Eating at one of our FAVORITE pizza places, "HEAVENS" we got the opportunity to just sit, relax and reflect back on our experiences thus far (not to mention, we will use just about any excuse to go there to enjoy our fave flatbread appetizer with pesto, hummus and taramasalata.)  It was also great because we got to walk around the city a bit (seeing as how it is a good 25 minute walk from our house in the hills..) We were mainly talking about what this experience has given us and how we have changed since we first arrived in this country..

I asked Brenda how she thought she has changed. She started analyzing her experience by talking about how she had never traveled on her own, was introverted and extremely timid. She could definitely fool you now because she has come a 'full-180,' folks. (But honesty-day, did she even stand a chance hanging around me who is so loud and obnoxious? I think not..) Brenda is now one of the most outgoing and open people that I know. It has been truly amazing seeing the transformation in her. I am so proud of every challenge that she has faced- her success and growth in this aspect feels like success for me as well because when my friends overcome these types of things- I feel somewhat tied to it as well.  Brenda has been one of my best friends (and biggest supporters) during my time here. I honestly don't know what I would have done without her. We have been able to relate a lot to each other because we both had a similar "resume" if you will upon entering this country.
  --We are both EXTREMELY tight with our families and found leaving them as one of our hardest obstacles to overcome.
  --We both took a chance by coming to this country on our own... not knowing another soul here! And I truly cannot imagine my experience any other way! So many people have looked at us funny when we said that we did this... "How could you do that?" "You are so brave" "I could not imagine doing this without my friend here" Well not only have we done it, but we have done it WELL!

When the question was turned over to me I had to think about it for a minute. I wondered where to even begin because I feel like I have changed significantly over the last semester, but how do you even begin to put these feelings into words? For most of my life I have tended to take the safe or more familiar route. (Being raised by Nurse Dangie will do it for you.) I was born and raised in Indianapolis and have remained in Indiana for the majority of my life. I played soccer, was a decent student and worked throughout high school. I attended IU like my older sister did as well as went through recruitment like she did. I have had amazing and supportive friends throughout each stage of my life. My summer breaks consisted of staying with my parents, working summer jobs, and family vacations but it began to feel like I was on some sort of a human hamster wheel. So much routine and not enough spontaneity; my heart and soul was yearning for more. I don't know what was preventing me from doing something like this before: fear of the unknown, anxiety of being on my own, or just lack of the right opportunity, but this epiphany came over me:  I needed a change of pace. I needed to do something for myself that would better me and strengthen me as a person in this journey of life.

This experience has given me that opportunity to learn more about myself and grow as a person. Like I have said before, what I have gotten from this experience is almost indescribable. I will never be able to repay those who have helped me get to this stage of my life. My parents who have supported me in all aspects during this process, my family and friends for their immeasurable love and support along the way, TEAN, for putting this all together and keeping me organized to even get abroad. And most importantly in some aspects, this country. I will forever be indebted to Wellington and New Zealand as a whole for changing me for the better. For challenging me and pushing me to my limits emotionally, physically and psychologically. I have learned so many life lessons that will stay with me forever and I wish that everyone could have an abroad experience because it is truly one of the most spectacular and rewarding things that I have done in my life. (No matter how much paperwork, stress and e-mails it took to get here!)

"During my stressing I’m blinded to the lessons that could be a blessing.."

 Through this experience, I have been reminded of all the blessings in my life and have learned to not stress the small stuff... and like Natasha Bedingfield's song, "Happy" I believe that I have found true inner peace and happiness through my time abroad. The future is the unknown, but I will not be fearful. If I had to take only one thing away from this experience, it would be that anything is possible. I can do anything that I want to do and no dream is too big. (I guess Walt Disney was right..) We cannot control everything in our lives, but we have to constantly remind ourselves to stop, breathe, and look around at all of the amazing things in our lives.

"Got my dreams, got my life, got my love
Got my friends, got the sunshine above
Why am I making this hard on myself
When there’s so many beautiful reasons I have to be happy.."

Until next time!  Sending much love!

                --Amy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment