Sunday, February 20, 2011

Frustration.

Ughhh... I know what you would be thinking... how could you be frustrated when you are abroad in one beautiful country?? Right it makes no sense..

Today had been a good day.. went to the Farmer's Market and then hung out with Lauren, Megan and Morgan and my roommate Brenda.. we were so hungry that we ordered Dominos (how very American of us..) But today was the first really frustrating day with my roommates.. as I have previously said I have 4 American roommates and 1 kiwimate.. I get along with Katy, my kiwimate just fine.. as do I get along with BRENDA!!!!! What. An. Angel. She is so very helpful.. went with me to get my phone.. made sure that I knew where the nearest grocery and convenience store was as well as goes in on groceries with me.. that is where the issues began.

Our plan was to open a flat account and pitch in on groceries together.. we live on top of a giant windy and steep hill that takes 10-15 minutes to even get to the grocery store.. so here if you spend $200 on groceries (NOT HARD TO DO HERE!) then for an $8 delivery charge, they will bring your groceries to the front door! We were excited for this because we could get all we needed and still save some cash to get fruits and veggies at the farmers market.. $40 on groceries a week or every other week per person.. easy to do.. however 2 of my roommates decided that they did not want to do that..

1 is somewhat flaky and she makes me anxious just talking to her. I do not really think she thinks complete thoughts thus putting them into complete phrases.. I do not know what the underlying issue with her is.. I have tried to be friendly to both of them but one is just extremely two-faced to Brenda and I's face and tells our kiwi-mate other things.. the other is just a down right liar. 

She said that she does not want to chip in for groceries seeing as how she only eats "vegetables.." when funny thing is that she has eaten pasta the last 3 days as well as I had to spot her $13 for her FISH dinner.. interesting; I just don't think home girl wants to pay.. and she seems like a little bit of a mooch..

...so thus far.. that has been the thing that I have had to become the most adjusted to. 2 of my roommates are phenomenal and 2 are just flaky.. so now I have to lock the door to my room, hide any valuables and make sure that nothing gets taken while I am at class or in town.. what a bummer. It puts a minor setback in my trip.. 
Reminded of Kappa everywhere <3

.. I guess it has just made me realize that much more how truly lucky I am to live where I do back home. Granted, I am so thankful for this experience.. but I guess I am a little too trusting of people. After all, I live with 100+ girls back home and have never had these issues.. so it is just a life lesson that I need to learn.. but it seems like a few of my friends are having these same issues and although I appreciate programs separating us to meet other people, it would have been nice to live with girls that I already knew and trusted.. because there is not a worse feeling than thinking you have to close and lock your door when you leave or even when you go to sleep. 

But I know things will get better and I am really having a blast here and I thank God everyday that I got this opportunity and met some of these people on the trip that I did because they are phenomenal!! Knowing that I have the people that I do in this city makes me feel extremely content. Also knowing that I have Gaby in Auckland and Anneka in Christchurch makes me feel wonderful as well bc I have other people in the north island and Anneka is my connection in the South and they are BOTH so wonderful!!!!! And knowing I have the support back home is wonderful as well. 

I am so excited for this week because we have a few scheduled events and I will be hanging out with the girls and exploring this awesome city some more!!! Much love on this end!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment