Sunday, February 27, 2011

Zealandia!

ZEALANDIA: THE KARORI SANCTUARY EXPERIENCE.

This was MY FAVORITE THING that I have done thus far! It was like a super touristy attraction but so amazing at the same time! So basically Zealandia was split into 2 parts: the exhibit and the sanctuary. The exhibit was cool until I learned that I would not be seeing a live Kiwi seeing as they are nocturnal....

"The future can no longer be what is going to happen? It is What are we going to do?"



The exhibit consisted of all of these animal and plant species that were around before the British came around and messed everything up.  There was a short video and then more small videos talking about everything from protecting our planet to talking about the native Kiwi bird! I was all about it. I left feeling like I had this mission to be greener.

Overlooking the canopy!

Tree hugger :)

It was empowering and the site was beautiful. I could not believe that this was in Wellington's backyard. I sometimes do not think that NZ people know just HOW BEAUTIFUL their country is. You do not find many places like this in America.  When I said that to my kiwi roommate, she seemed stunned that I was complimenting her country so much. Although they are very green here when it comes to conserving energy and being fairly clean, they do need to work on protecting their animals and birdlife. NZ has a possum issue where there are 7-10 possums for EVERY PERSON HERE. (NZ has a 4 million person population!) So as our Maori guide said back in Auckland, "shoot the possums.."

It was such a wonderful day and I had a blast with Lauren, Megan and Morgan. We have gone everywhere together and seen these awesome sites. I do not know what I would do without them here! It has been such a treat!!
Lauren, Megan, and Morgan!

Wish me luck on my first day of class later!

No comments:

Post a Comment